Re: [glob2-devel] hi

From: whereis Mykake
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] hi
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 13:38:00 -0500

Thanks Leo for the response.
<< As I understand you, you want to learn from code but essentially know how to code in other languages.>> No. I want to learn OO deployed in C++ in Linux environment.Preferably with multi-threading.

<< glob2 has 100000 LOC and most likely none of it is best practice. >>
100K loc is about estimated size of my project. So i got interested in glob2. also "what we are trying to achieve by the program" is easier to visualize in a game project than say in a language library project. It is easier to see the effect on the overall program by changing some part of the code.
also the AI in glob2 got me interested.

I wish you are others can recommend some other project which has better OO practices. I will search for individual mutex/ singelton examples. But will prefer a whole project where it is deployed.

<< If you want to actually work on glob2 though, you are more than welcome to revive this beautiful game. >>

It is beautiful. I am so far with only 3rd tutorial. But i am visualizing things like: 1.Hex shaped individual territory in multiplayer game. New players (new hex) are added on the sides. The sides are like borders of countries. 2.Natural life span of individual globulaton. (I may be using wrong terminology). e.g. after working for 100 wheat pickup, he will get old. Then it can not work. only consume
   and use hospitals.
3. Natural disasters can affect individual hexs randomly or all hexs globally. It can reduce number of aging workers as well few health ones. 4. Relationships between neighboring hex, with distant hexs, etc. Agenda of individual Hex like Defense based vs Exploration based etc.
5. Defense development, long range, short range etc.

I can dream on...

The good thing is, as a player, I do not have to actively manage the whole thing with every second response.
Have general policies deployed and watch it how it evolves with time.
(That is how I would manage a finance portfolio too!.)

-wimk