Re: [Gnash-dev] opengl->agg?

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] opengl->agg?
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 02:01:19 -0600

mark cox wrote:

> Sorry for poking my nose in, but since gnash is an open project and most
> developers prefer working with AGG, why worry about thinking "beyond
> ourselves" and stick with AGG. If it looks good and it is easy to
> install, i don't see why users will care whether it is a bit slower or faster
> for

  Being friendly to proprietary drivers isn't the issue, none of us run
them anyway. But the 3D free driver for nvidia is now working, and
shipping in Ubuntu and Fedora. Pretty soon there will be free acclerated
drivers. I'm sitting here at the Ubuntu Developers summit, and the
OpenGL based window managers like Beryl and Compiz turn out to be very
popular. Most other developers here at the conference *do* use OpenGL,
we'll all just fanatics.

  But I think this is an issue only for this upcoming release. After the
release I plan to make the GUIs and backends plugins, where they are
selectable at runtime, which will make this issue moot.