[Gnash-dev] Re: youtube review

From: John Gilmore
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Re: youtube review
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 07:01:18 -0800

An HD H.264 stream was saved without trouble, and plays in totem (tho
it had trouble playing in gnash due to waiting for the incoming data):

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8VwCFxEchs&feature=hd

In this youtube video (FLV), the audio and video frequently
separate from each other.  I don't know if this is a new or old
issue (or gstreamer's as opposed to ours):

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAETZ5GYFUU&feature=channel

Dragging the seek bubble back and forth works great to seek the video.
But there are a few glitches.  If you drag the bubble past the part of
the stream that's already preloaded, it does funny things (and I don't
know if the saved video is good, either).  The bubble pops back to
earlier, but the video freezes, and the stream appears to continue
buffering.  Eventually the bubble catches up with the point you seeked
to, and then the video starts playing again.  If instead you play a
video from start to end, until the very end of the video, then drag
the bubble back, the bubble never again moves forward under its own
power (even though the video does).  Also, after making the seek
bubble hang that way, the end of the video doesn't make the usual menu
pop up any more.  But you can manually drag the bubble to the very end
of the bar to make it do so.

The audio player on www.archive.org (Live Music archives) didn't
run for me; I think it's the same player they use for the videos.

        John