Re: [Gnash-dev] revno.h bashing

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] revno.h bashing
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 09:00:02 +0100

On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 03:38:21PM -0700, Rob Savoye wrote:

> In configure, I use AC_SUBST(GIT) to put the value of git in the
> Makefile, rather than an automake conditional, as this allows for the
> default to using the date.

You don't need AC_SUBST(GIT), it's implicit in AC_PATH_PROG(GIT).

> If .git or git itself isn't found, it defaults to the date. This way
> "make deb" works from a source tarball + debian files, and not just from
> a git tree. Default values are used in this case for the branch and
> comm_id, so nothing else breaks.

My version just didn't override an existing revno.h in that case (missing
git tree or git), so the existing revno.h (supposedly containing good
data as produced by the "make" call invoked by package builder) wouldn't
be overridden by one with bad data (meaingless date).

The override is confirmed to happen with your commit. Checked with
17b5ba85b04310e6cf5b80ad567457b81255823d

> Any changes to how the revno,h target works *must* be discussed after
> this so we're all on the same wavelength so we can stop stomping on each
> others toes. Discussing it on irc when I'm asleep doesn't count, I'm 8
> hours behind you, remember ?

Yeah, I started avoiding IRC as a whole, as I belive mails are much better
when there are arguments. You have more time to think :)