Re: [Gnash-dev] revno.h again and deb building

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] revno.h again and deb building
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 17:12:35 +0100

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 07:25:45AM -0700, Rob Savoye wrote:
> On 12/10/10 00:55, strk wrote:
>
> > If you commit or pull, your sources must be read-write, so make will
> > regenerate revno.h, right ? My autogen.sh suggestino was *in addition*,
> > not replacing the Makefile rule
>
>   Wrong again. I run autogen.sh in the source tree, not on the build
> slaves. Assuming I will always have a read-write filesystems is just
> wrong. Ask any other experienced programmer and they wull tell you that
> putting generated files in the source tree is always a bad idea.

I'm not assuing you always have read-write.
Note that distcheck tests the read-only source tree so it's easy
to verify if my version of the patch worked in that case.
Your version doesn't, if you look at buildbots.

Now, about your specific case I was suggesting to have something
in autogen.sh _in_addition_ to the Makefile rule. Such additional
code would fit exactly in your situation as you'd get revno.h
generated when running autogen.sh in the source tree and it will
NOT get replaced by 'make' on the build bots.