RE: Wrong cable for 5110?

From: Christian Hack
Subject: RE: Wrong cable for 5110?
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:41:33 +1000

> Is anyone on this list actually using a 5110?  Is there a particular
> version within 5110dom that I need?  *#0000# gives me:

I'm using a homebrew MBUS cable from
http://www.panuworld.net/nuukiaworld/ on a 5110 with pretty good
success. Mine has a busted LCD but works fine for SMS which is all I use
it for. Occasionally though I do seem to need to reboot the phone
though. I just manually poll the 5110 via a command line gnokii every 5
minutes

Can you connect a null modem through to another PC and check that data
is coming out of the correct serial port?

> V 05.11
> 18-02-99
> NSE-1

Don't know my firmware version but I can easily enough find out for you.
I doubt that's the problem. My 5110 is probably older than Feb 99 and it
hasn't had an upgrade.

> It also looks slightly strange as 6 of the connectors look gold, while
> the seventh is greyish.  is this normal?

Doesn't sound normal to me - sounds like corrosion. Some isopropyl
alcohol should help or perhaps some light scratching to remove the build
up of crud.

Because I didn't have the correct connector I simply soldered direct to
the phones connector. It was only 2 wires.

I did have some initial problems, but they disappeared for no apparent
reason.

CH