gnomoradio-devel

[gnomoradio-devel] Re: [libxml++] Propose Document::create_root_node_by_

From: Murray Cumming
Subject: [gnomoradio-devel] Re: [libxml++] Propose Document::create_root_node_by_import ()
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 18:53:13 +0100

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 00:56, Jim Garrison wrote:
> I would like to propose the addition of a function to xmlpp::Document.
> Right now, one can only create a root node with the given function
> create_root_node(), and then manipulate that Node.

That sounds OK to me (I am not the maintainer). Maybe it is OK to just
overload create_root_node().
>   My proposed function
> (something like Document::create_root_node_by_import) would take a Node
> from an existing Document and import it in the spirit of
> Node::import_node().  So basicly, this adds the import functionality so
> that an entire document can be created from a arbitrary Node in a
> different document.
>
> The biggest reason I need to do this is so that I can create a string
> that holds all the XML within a certain node.  If there's a better way
> to do this, please let me know.  If not, would this type of patch be
> accepted?  If so, would it be able to go in the 1.0 branch?  I don't
> think it would break anything in terms of the ABI.

API addition for stable APIs is not allowed (for good reasons) in the
GNOME Platform Bindings rules. However, 1.0 was not in that release set.
I personally think that API addition is a bad idea in stable APIs. There
is usually an external workaround that can tide people over until the
next stable API.

--
Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com