Re: [Gnu-arch-users] unmatched files

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] unmatched files
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 02:33:30 +0000

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 06:42:10PM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:
>     > From: Colin Walters <address@hidden>
>
>     > I think that the build system is generally a better place to
>     > solve 'make dist'.
>

> Why?
>
> Why do we want two different mechanisms both of which purport to
> identify "the subset of this tree which is source?"
>
> Both `make dist' and revision control need to know that subset: why
> should I have to specify it _twice_?

Here's a random observation for you:

I use automake and tla with several "complex" projects. For these
trees, the set of files which automake considers source (for the
purpose of packing into distributed tarballs, which I make releases
from), and the set of files which tla considers source, are disjoint
in both directions.

This is deliberate.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |