Re: [Gnu-arch-users] grokking arch

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] grokking arch
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:16:25 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Colin Walters <address@hidden>

    > In my spare time a week or so ago I hacked a little on this presentation
    > about Arch [....]

    > The presentation is targeted for fairly skilled hackers; it's explicitly
    > *not* a presentation like "here's how you get diffs with tla, here's how
    > you update, etc".  That kind of stuff the target audience is expected to
    > learn elsewhere.  Instead this presentation is intended to be an
    > introduction to the design of the Arch system.

    > [....]

    > It's in OpenOffice format; here's a HTML export:
    > http://web.verbum.org/tla/grokking-arch/grokking-arch.html

    > [....]

    > Comments appreciated!

For such an audience, the bottom-up approach strikes me as exactly
right.   When sitting in such an audience, my hope is to come away
with enough intuition about the system being discussed that, if
stranded on a desert island, i'd be able to reinvent it from the hints
provided.  That level of understanding of "what the thing does" makes
me much more comfortable evaluating it.

You hit "key ideas" very well.

You would appear to be a very skilled speaker.

These slides are _fantastic_.

BTW, you mentioned that your presentation of this was thwarted because
of some BK licensing issue.   Are we to infer from this that BK is
used internally at RH?