Re: [Gnu-arch-users] What's the difference bitween 'junk' and 'backup' ?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] What's the difference bitween 'junk' and 'backup' ?
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:19:58 +0900

    Tez> In the same meaning, if 'junk' and 'backup' are handled
    Tez> differently, The difference should be appeared in tla's
    Tez> source code.

But maybe not in any version published yet.

What this represents is a _promise_ on Arch's part to never make a
change in Arch behavior in which a backup file is deleted by Arch.
Therefore you can protect a file against deletion by current _and_
future versions of tla by declaring it a backup.

I suspect "backup" probably is just a useful feature in some future
Grand Plan for World Domination in which inventory(1arch) replaces
find(1), rather than something that is particularly relevant to Arch.