Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch requires huge amount of memories..

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch requires huge amount of memories..
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 11:05:44 -0400

On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 04:33, Marc Recht wrote:
> > Er, it looks like you imported the entire pkgsrc tree into a single
> > category.  While it would be nice if tla performed better here, I think
> > this is a simple case of "don't do that".  What you really want is a
> > category for each package, like:
> >
> > address@hidden/devel-stlport--main--0.1
>
> Oh, my. Considering the size of pkgsrc this could take a while to set up...
> :-/ Are there any helper scripts for this?

No, but I can't imagine it would be that hard to write one.

>  Can I set up config recursively?
> For example:
> pkgsrc/
> pkgsrc/{configs}
> pkgsrc/devel
> pkgsrc/devel/{configs}
> [... other categories]

No no, you'd have a address@hidden/configs--main--0
containing files like:

configs/netbsd.org/pkgsrc-main
configs/netbsd.org/pkgsrc-1.6.2
configs/netbsd.org/pkgsrc-1.5.3

etc.

The contents of those files would look like this:

./              address@hidden/pkgsrc-framework--main--0
./devel/stlport address@hidden/devel-stlport--main--0.1
./multimedia/gstreamer  address@hidden/multimedia-gstreamer--main--0.1

And actually if you have the invariant that there are no two packages of
the same name but in different directories (in the devel and multimedia
sense), then you can just drop the package directory from the tla
category, like:

./              address@hidden/pkgsrc-framework--main--0
./devel/stlport address@hidden/stlport--main--0.1
./multimedia/gstreamer  address@hidden/gstreamer--main--0.1

> I see. Can I then still diff against the entire tree to see what changed
> (compared to last commit)?

You can use changes in each individual one to get changes for that
package.  Robert Collins has a config-manager which I think can
recursively do changes.