Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Wiki invasions

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Wiki invasions
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 08:35:04 +0200

address@hidden (James Blackwell) writes:

> My understanding is that there seems to be a problem as of late that some
> creep is coming along and putting stuff on the front page of the wiki that
> we as a group don't want.

Mostly people  adding links to  commercial websites to  increase their
google ranking.

> I  haven't seen  it myself,  but  my understanding  is that  they're
> advertisements of some sort.

See by yourself :

http://wiki.gnuarch.org/moin.cgi/RecentChanges

(Wahow, it's worse than usual: Looks  today like the result of a robot
following every  links from the  RecentChanges page, and  clicking all
"revert" links.)

http://wiki.gnuarch.org/moin.cgi/FrontPage?action=info

See all the "reverts"

> 4. Only allow registered people to modify the wiki as a whole (again,
> instructions needed).

That seem reasonable to me.

5. Allow  modification only  with  a  summary line.  I  don't know  if
spammers will be intelligent enough to provide one.

Please don't restrict  write access too much to the  wiki, or it won't
be a wiki anymore, but these two restriction seem to me acceptable.

--
Matthieu