Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla panic

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla panic
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 09:20:45 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Na Li <address@hidden>

    > On 13 May 2004, Na Li verbalised:

    > > That said, I also tried to recompile tla with built-in path (using
    > > --with gnu-diff=/sw/bin/diff) and that did not solve the problem.

    > Well, I think I found the problem.  The 'make install' does not actually
    > install the program anywhere.  I was still using the old version of tla
    > which probably does not use the fink's diff.

    > Using the new compiled version, the problem seems to have gone.

tla has a very conservative installation script.   I think it's wrong
to, by default, shove everything into /usr/local.

Therefore, if you do not provide a --prefix option to configure, tla
is installed -- but in a subdir of the build directory.  This is
actually useful behavior if you then use symlinks or dirstacks to
manage your big catch-all directories like /usr/local.

To have tla installed somewhere outside of the build-dir, you _must_
provide a --prefix option to configure.   As in:

        ../configure --prefix /usr/local