Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE REQUEST] unify various commands around arch_

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE REQUEST] unify various commands around arch_fqvsn_from_tree_and_input
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 09:11:05 -0400

Colin Walters wrote:
On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 09:34, Aaron Bentley wrote:

Unfortunately, you've introduced an ambiguity. It used to be that valid revision names were always treated as revisions by delta. Now, valid revision names are not treated as revisions if there is a directory in the cwd with that name.

True...

Thus, "tla delta tla--mainline--1.3--patch-9 address@hidden/tla--devo--1.3" is an ambigious statement; do the arguments refer to directories or to revision names? (And sadly, "tla--mainline--1.3--patch-9" is the default directory name produced by tla get)

This is pretty easy to fix - just add a check for a valid revision
before the dir test.  It's kind of a special case for delta.

And what about the handling of versions and patchlevels?

There's a simpler and more reliable way: let arch_fqvsn_from_tree_and_input return NULL if it can't determine an fqvsn in some cases.

You can achieve this by
a) adding a soft_errors parameter to arch_fqvsn_from_tree_and_input
b) refactoring arch_fqvsn_from_tree_and_input into two functions, one that returns NULL on failure, and a safe wrapper that exits if the wrapped function returns NULL.

I've merged your patches into my errors branch,

Er, I wish you hadn't done that, at least without asking me - you've
broken the star-shaped configuration.

I merged it there because I knew that the two trees would have conflicts, and I wanted to deal with that head-on. I don't see how it matters, though. AFAIK, no one else is using this branch, and I havne't requested Tom to merge any of the later stuff.

What kinds of problems would this cause?

and added the ability for arch_fqvsn_from_tree_and_input to determine a revision from a
version:
address@hidden/tlasrc--errors--3--patch-15

Do you need to update your mirror?  I only see patch-12.

Sorry about that.  It's up-to-date now.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley