Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Fixing a log message post hoc

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Fixing a log message post hoc
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 00:41:40 -0400

In lists.arch.users, you wrote:
>>> Is there any way I can fix a typo in a log message?
>
> CW> You can never change history.
>
> In Soviet Russia...
>
> CW> The longer answer is: If your real archive is private, and you later
> CW> mirror it publicly, you can modify the log in your archive, and update
> CW> your working copies, purge your revision libraries, etc.
>
> The archive is public.  I only want to change the summary of a single
> patch.  I'm willing to accept that the mirrors won't get the fix, I
> just want my main archive to be fixed.

If you change the wrong things, not only will you break any later
revisions, but you'll potentially break any other branch tagged off of
the one you screw up -- even if its not your revision.

And you're very likely to do that, especially if you don't update the
checksum after the fact.

> The typo annoys me every time I see it, which is surprisingly often.
> If you don't tell me how to fix it, I'll sue you for my stomach ulcer ;-)

Gnu-arch comes with no warranty, either express or implied.

I'll make it clearer for you:
                                                           @@
                                                           @@