Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")

From: Matthew Dempsky
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")
Date: 01 Jul 2004 23:10:09 -0500

"Pierce T.Wetter III" <address@hidden> writes:

>   Well, if the interpreter used was a more common one, it might
> include said beast...

Well who's going to write a debugger if no one wants to use the
interpreter before it includes one?

>    Er. No syntax aware editors.

The syntax hasn't even been formally defined yet.

>    A test bed would be a program that "emulates" arch but runs inside the
> debugger to let you step through complicated scripts.

Again, if it's a useful feature, it'll get added in time.

>   Of course, really, if I now understand correctly, Tom wants to
> compile pika code into Furth, and use pika code in arch. That's
> quite different, because its not furth that Tom wants to embed into
> arch, its scheme.

Tom wants to embed a minimalistic VM into Arch which can support any
language someone writes a compiler for.

>    Then the question is whether it make sense to use scheme in config
> files...

You make it sound like the end users will be writing R5RS Scheme in
their config files -- that's not necessarily true at all.  New
functionality could write their own readers for config files or
instead syntax-rules macros could be used to turn the same config
files into an executable.

-jivera