Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Cygwin tla binary snapshot for Windows

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Cygwin tla binary snapshot for Windows
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 11:14:57 -0500

I thought I would post to the list mentioning a little bit of timing
tests that I performed. I have 3 versions of tla for cygwin installed on
~ my machine, as well as the latest version of Johannes's Port.

I went ahead and did some timing tests, just to see how quickly the
different programs worked. All of the tests were performed on the same
machine. I am running a 2.4GHz Dual Processor P4, and the archive is
hosted on a Dual Celeron 500, connected by a wireless bridge. It isn't
the fastest connection, but it isn't really the problem. I was checking
out a single project that only has a couple files in it, but 36 patches.
(It's basically a "dists" project.)

I ran the command twice just to make sure there weren't any file caching
issues.

First, I have to say, all of them did _much_ worse than the Linux native
version.

Linux Native: 7 seconds
Leroy's Old Dirname (with logging): 1m24s
Leroy's New Dirname (no logging): 1m17s
Leroy's DOS (no logging): 59s
Ron Parker's Dirname: 1m18s
Johannes Port: "Never Ran"[*]

So I have to say, there is some significant room for improvement. All of
the =dirname style perform about the same. The logging doesn't take as
big of a penalty as I thought it would. DOS is definitely faster, though
not a huge amount so.
All of them are more than an order of magnitude slower than a native
TLA. Now I'm guessing cygwin imposes some overhead, as it has to
translate cygwin paths to NT paths, etc.

Does anyone have an idea of how to profile this code?

I thought maybe pathcompress was the slowdown, but the DOS version isn't
~ a whole lot faster. It is a little bit faster, though, so I think doing
the caching will improve performance.

I'm willing to work on it with people, for right now I'm going to branch
of some development work from rdp's code.
John
=:->

[*] So far, I haven't gotten Johannes' Port to work.
If I run it from zshell, it pretends to start working, it creates the
",,get*" directory, but then nothing ever shows up there, and it just
kind of sits there. I get a little bit of network activity at the
beginning, and then nothing.

If I run it from cygwin, I get
PANIC: unable to CreateProcess in arch_execute_stdio

I'm not really sure what the problem is.