Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Cygwin tla binary snapshot for Windows

From: lode . leroy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Cygwin tla binary snapshot for Windows
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 09:22:03 +0200 (CEST)

|>Linux Native: 7 seconds
|>Leroy's Old Dirname (with logging): 1m24s
|>Leroy's New Dirname (no logging): 1m17s
|>Leroy's DOS (no logging): 59s
|>Ron Parker's Dirname: 1m18s
|>Johannes Port: "Never Ran"[*]

Don't expect similar performance of windows and linux. windows is just
slow as hell...
(eg. I observed that a PII350MHz based linux can decode a DVD/MPEG2 stream
in software full screen easily... a PIII1.2GHZ based XP can barely do the
same. thats on 8x better hardware (I count *2 for a processor generation
and *4 for the clock speed. this is by no means scientifically correct,
but it's something))

| There first is process startup time.  Creating processes under Windows

I understand you here, except I'm pretty sure we aren't spawning a lot
of sub-processes when doing a single tla get.

yes, by tla-get, we do:
1) get each patch file (by HTTP)
2) uncompress using gzip
3) untar using tar
4) apply each patch (separately?) using patch

so we have number-of-revisions * (2 + number of patches) processes.
All of these processes will have a separate cache!

(you could try "strace tla get | grep exec" to verify this)
[that's why I'm in favour of Johannes Berg's port: we should try to libify
tar, diff and patch and throw that with libz into 1 single process.
THEN you can use caching)

| The other is that NTFS performance compared to any well-designed
| file-system just stinks. It's the Siamese twin of dead-dog number one.

I second that. I haven't done timings, but try untarring a big tgz file
with lots of files on linux an windows... you'll see a lot of difference.
IMHO NTFS is semi-synchronous  and  ext2 is a-synchronous.
I thing a fairer comparison would be
(sync; time; tla get; sync; time) on both systems,
or mount -o remount,sync /home

I'm eagerly awaiting timing results from caching .... and now back to you
john.....euh.... john? :-)

-- lode

Plaats je zoekertjes GRATIS op AdValvas
Placez votre petite annonce GRATUITEMENT sur AdValvas
http://www.advalvas.be