[Gnu-arch-users] How to know which revision a changeset is refering to?

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] How to know which revision a changeset is refering to?
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 21:36:53 +0200

Hi again,

I was just wondering if there was a way to know, from a changeset
directory, which revision the changeset was computed from.

Typically, if I type

$ tla get-changeset \
    address@hidden/xtla--main--0.1--patch-334 /tmp/foo

and then send /tmp/foo to someone else, will that person have an easy
way to know that this changeset corresponds to revision
address@hidden/xtla--main--0.1--patch-334 ?

If this revision is not a merge of another one, I can just look at the
directory ./new-files-archive/{arch}/ and I will find only one
patch-log entry, which will give me the name of the revision.

If the revision is a merge of another, then I have to find the
patch-log entry containing each other.

If the changeset is not just the changeset for one revision, then the
problem becomes really complex.

So, I have two questions:

1) Did I miss something? Is there an easier way to do it?

2) If not, is there a particular reason why such information is not
   included in the changeset? I would suggest two files
   ./orig-revision and ./mod-revision, that would contain the name of
   the revision from which the changeset was computed. Those files
   would off course not exist when the changeset was not computed from
   revisions.

Thanks for your answers,

--
Matthieu