[Gnu-arch-users] (my) tla on windows roadmap

From: Johannes Berg
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] (my) tla on windows roadmap
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 14:03:16 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

since there's been talk about windows again, I figured I'd take the time
and write something about my thoughts.

Here are a couple of suggestions/things I might do:
 1) do not path-compress the archives, but rather force the user to
    use shorter category names. That way we can keep archive format
    compatibility with the linux version.
    Postpone any format changes to get shorter paths into the next
    archive format.
    (cf http://wiki.gnuarch.org/moin.cgi/Archive_20Format_203_20Wishlist,
    4th point)

 2) put all the compatiblity into hackerlab - don't mess around inside
    tla itself.

 3) there are changes to make tla use .arch-inventory instead of
    {arch}/=tagging-method. Now, this means no-one needs to access
    files inside {arch} any more. So, on windows, we can use something
    like berkeley db to store {arch} in.
    Requires: implementing a bdb vu backend.

 4) fix at least some of the things on
    http://wiki.gnuarch.org/moin.cgi/tla_20win32_20todo
    that includes sections 3.1, 3.2

In any case. I've mapped out what I think is a good plan to create a
native tla for windows, but haven't gotten many comments so far.

Do you all think that this is futile?

johannes