Re: [Gnu-arch-users] (my) tla on windows roadmap

From: Milan Cvetkovic
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] (my) tla on windows roadmap
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 17:40:41 -0400

I will put a little comment here, although I am not a Windows user :-)

Johannes Berg wrote:
As a side note, the paths are long, but so are the tarballs. In the
archive the total length is:
root/c/c--b/c--b--v/patch-nn/c--b--v--patch-nn.patches.tar.gz
So category gets expanded 4 times, branch 3, version twice, and patch-nn
twice.
With a category of 30 chars, and a branch of 20, you are talking 200
characters right there. In some ways branches are at least as important
as categories, especially to work with people doing microbranch stuff.

Yeah, good point.

there is a simple "compression" that can work here:
root/c/c--b/c--b--v/patch-nn/c--b--v--patch-nn.patches.tar.gz
compressed to:
root/c/b/v/nn.tar.gz
just by removing redundant info

it is simple to compute, and decreases the path for
3 * len(c) + 2 * len(b) + len(v) + constant(s/--/\// | s/patch-n//)

.. snipped ...

What usually fails, though, is the "get", which creates
",,get.../,,pristines.../" and then the full tree.

The similar compression as above could be implemented for prisitines and revision libraries, I guess. For windows users having archives on a remote unix box, this is actually al they need, so they actually don't even require the archive-format to change.

I am not sure how difficult this would be to put in tla, though.

Just throwing some ideas, since I haven't seen them here.

Milan.