Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: new language, arch, furth, etc.

From: Daniel Skarda
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: new language, arch, furth, etc.
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:48:26 +0200

Hello,

>         <assoc> := "{" <assoc-binding>* "}"
>
>         <assoc-binding> := <name> "=>" <nested-value>

  as I understand you want to make configuration language subset of Scheme
(good choice, imHo :) [1]. I think that the choice of curly braces is not a good
one, because:

  1) R5RS declares that:

        [ ] { } |
             Left and right square brackets and curly braces and vertical bar
             are reserved for possible future extensions to the language

  2) What is so bad about association lists?

     If configuration langauge is pure subset of Scheme, you can `read' it
     and process it in few lines of code using any Scheme implementation
     (Guile, Pika, Systas, ...). You can even `read' it using any common
     Common Lisp implementation :)

     I do not think '{' '}' syntactic sugar is worth of troubles,
     incompatibility and writing special parsers (when there are already
     about 11 Scheme and 4 Lisp implementations ready for installation in
     Debian :)

Please, KISS the configuration language :)
0.

[1] No language flamewars, please :)