Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: new language, arch, furth, etc.

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: new language, arch, furth, etc.
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:09:40 -0400

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 02:22:35PM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> So, by your reasoning the output of tla abrowse and similar should be
> totally dismissed as problematic. Maybe you suggest to use xl for it?

Of course not.  Indentation certainly _helps_ understanding of structure,
it's just not _sufficient_ in many (most?) cases.  In the case of abrowse,
(1) the structure is fairly simple, and fixed, (2) there's enough ancillarly
information to clearly establish (for the human reader, which is of course
all that matters in this case) boundaries between levels, and easily reorient
oneself (the predictable and somewhat redundant names of versions/etc), and
(3) the output is often rather short.

Morever, abrowse output is exactly that -- output.  There's no need to
worry about what happens when the user makes changes to it.

-Miles
--
My spirit felt washed.  With blood.  [Eli Shin, on "The Passion of the Christ"]