Re: [Gnu-arch-users] star-merge and unrelated trees

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] star-merge and unrelated trees
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:12:57 -0400

Jani Monoses wrote:

> Hello
>
> I tried star-merging jblack's devo branch into my tree and got the unrelated
> trees error.
> Both James' branch and the one I am using are tags of Tom's devo--1.3 but at
> different patch levels.This is what the first entries from tla ancestry look
> like:

In other words, [I'm tagged off of lord, jblack is tagged off of lord,
why can't I star-merge jblack?]

> Why cannot star-merge figure out they have Tom's devo--1.3--patch-6 as
> ancestor?

Star merge only knows how to merge trees in which it knows the common
ancestor. Star merge is smart enough to figure out the common ancestor
if the two trees are directly related, but isn't smart enough to figure
out the common ancestor if there's one or more versions in the way. (In
this case, Tom's version is in the way).

The way that you're supposed to get around this is with the --reference
argument for star-merge:

tla star-merge --reference address@hidden/tla--devo--1.3 \
 address@hidden/tla--devo--1.3

> I searched the gau archives for similar problems and using join-branch to
> James' version I could get star-merge to work. Those mails also mentioned that
> this is not needed if you pass star-merge the --reference option but that did
> not work for me. I tried to pass James' and Tom's version but none worked.

It should work. Aaron and I have been star-merging each other with
reference for a couple days now.