Re: [Gnu-arch-users] patch-logs removed by star-merge?

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] patch-logs removed by star-merge?
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:10:39 -0400

Jani Monoses wrote:
So now tla logs does not show some patches when I'm in B's working tree.

I'm guessing you're referring to my patch-(9-11).

Actually A and B are branches in a non-tla project I work on.

So is it normal that patch-logs get moved out of the tree?

Well, it can happen.  Not usually desirable, but...

If B has cherrypicked patches from you, star-merge draws the wrong conclusions. It assumes B merged everything from you, and then removed some of the patches. So when you merge from B, it does what it thinks B did, and removes the patches. Replay --skip-present may be more suitable for this situation.

In detail:

For this purpose, we can pretend that star-merge is a wrapper for apply-delta that computes FROM-REVISION using the merge history. The star-merge REVISION/VERSION parameter is used as the apply-delta TO-REVISION.

First, we pick a common ancestor. This is either the last revision of A that B contains a patchlog for, or the last revision of A that contains a patchlog for B.

So let's say B--patch-51 adds a patchlog for A--patch-42, but A--patch-42 was cherrypicked, so A-41 and A-40 aren't present. The latest revision of B is patch-53

Now we do "apply-delta A--patch-42 B--patch-53". But part of the delta between A--patch-42 and B--patch-53 is that B--patch-53 doesn't have the changes in A--patch-41 or A--patch-40. So the result of apply-delta is to remove those changes, patchlogs and all.

Is it possible that tla logs without the -merges flag (so the patchlogs) do
not reflect what changes I made in time in my tree?

The way you create your patchlogs won't affect the behavior of star-merge or log-for-merge. (Unless you do something silly like add your own new-patches header.)

Aaron
--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology