Re: [Gnu-arch-users] file-diffs could use the following syntax: tla file

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] file-diffs could use the following syntax: tla file-diffs filename.c patch-12
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:27:28 -0400

James Blackwell wrote:
address@hidden (Matthieu Moy) wrote:

file-diffs is not the only such command.

(Almost ?) any command taking a revision as an argument could be
modified in the same way.

I saw only one other place where we could do so trivially and safely, and that was tla changes.

Many commands that take a revision arguments can be modified to use either arch_fqvsn_from_tree_and_input or arch_determine_revision. Stick your alias stuff in there too, and loads of needless typing is eliminated.

We don't want to make a global change, like changing arch_fully_qualify,
because then would happily do the wrong thing in many places.

Right. Specifically, these are user-input transformation functions and should be applied in cmd-foo as appropriate. It'd cut out a lot of redundant code. It's just that we have to avoid changing the existing behaviour while we do it.

For
example, star-merging an earlier revision is senseless.

Yeah, so that would use arch_determine_revision (which consults the version's archive instead of the tree).

Aaron