Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Features command for arch

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Features command for arch
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:00:09 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: David Allouche <address@hidden>

    > >    Is there a "natural"
    > > topology that might be the trump-card of topologies for feature
    > > assertions?

    > Doing deep thinking in this area is your mandate, and I declare myself
    > not qualified to answer such questions.

Ok.

    > I am just trying to solve annoying compatibility issues for wrappers.

Voila --- your pushback on this particular proposed solution :-)  Sorry!

    > >   If there is no "natural" topology then this is a design
    > > opportunity to accomidate conflicting constraints by making an
    > > otherwise arbitrary decision in a context-specific way --- and so in
    > > that case (of no "natural" topology): what is our design space?

    > Beg your pardon?

If there's no One True Answer for the structure of feature names then,
in some sense, it's an arbitrary choice.

Since it is an arbitrary choice, it should be reserved until it can be
made in such a way that the choice is a maximally happy coincidence
(i.e., interacts nicely, by (deliberate) "coincidence" with other
features or contextual constraints).

That's all of design in a two paragraph nutshell.