Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Features command for arch

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Features command for arch
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 07:54:38 +0200

"Robert Anderson" <address@hidden> writes:

> is being used from last time 'configure' was run.  If you're
> going to do something really crazy like use a different tla every
> time you run the front end, the front-end could hash the
> executables to an array of configurations.

That means each front-end has to implement a persistant table (hash ->
features) or at least a persistant checksum. One more config file, one
more dependancy on md5sum, ...

Developing xtla, we currently face this kind of problems, not for tla,
but for the differences between Emacs versions. And believe me, the
ability to "introspect" your own features in an extension language
(featurep, fboundp in the case of Emacs lisp) is _much_ easier to
implement than a configure script !

One day, we'll have to manage the different versions of tla, and I'd
clearly prefer testing tla's features with a standard way than typing
a new testcase myself in a configure script to get the answer.

--
Matthieu