Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla inventory

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla inventory
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:15:53 +0200

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 13:29 +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> * When I add the -p|--precious option to tla inventory, I get "P? "
> prefixes to the files listed. This makes it useless for piping a list of
> such files to tar (jar in my case).

Here, it works as expected.

        tlash pyarch> inventory -p
        address@hidden
        address@hidden
        address@hidden
        arch/__init__.pyc
        arch/_tla.pyc
        arch/arch.pyc
        arch/errors.pyc
        arch/util.pyc
        tlash pyarch>

Using 1.2.2rc2.

> I thought --names got rid of the prefixes, but that doesn't seem to be
> the case here (perhaps a different version, or simply different use
> case).

The --names option just enable "names" tagging method and overrides the
setting in =tagging-method.

That's useful to disable untagged-source classification, since a file is
never untagged with the "names" tagging method.

> * tla inventory has an option, --nested. That does not follow symlinks.
> Would it be approrpriate to add an equivalent to tar's --follow (follow
> symlinks) option?

This would conflicts with the contract of "tla inventory" as I
understand it, which is "list all arch-controlled files". Symlinks are
version-controlled, traversing them would not expose the actual
inventory.

> The reason for needing --follow is, my build/ output dir is built by
> both compiling stuff from my src/ dir (Java classes), as well as
> symlinking some stuff (media/images directory and the line). So my
> build/ output hierary has symlinks, which need to be descended for the
> purpose of building my release files (.jar zip files).
>
> Now, I could (am currently) chaining tar --follow and an inverse (-v)
> grep (to remove .arch-ids directories etc), but it would seem that tla
> inventory should be able to do this .. that's exactly the type of thing
> it's for, right?

GNU tar has no --follow option.

If I understand you well, you want to export a Arch tree (a la make
dist) by traversing the symlinks. Actually, you want to export _part_ of
an arch tree...

You could do it in several steps:

1. Export your _whole_ tree using something like

        tla inventory --whatever --nested | \
          cpio --pass-through --link --make-directories ../export-stuff

2. Prepare the tarball

        cd ../export-stuff
        mv build javafrob-1.0
        find -follow javafrob-1.0 | tar cTzf - javafrob-1.0.tar.gz

Or something like that.

Anyway, your approach seems broken because if "--whatever" is source,
then you'll probably miss your build files (which _should_ not be
source) and if it is --precious or something else like that you will be
likely to get random crap precious files as well.

I guess there is probably a better way to organize your source trees.

--
                                                            -- ddaa