Re: [Gnu-arch-users] .listing files

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] .listing files
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:34:03 -0400

Robert Collins wrote:
I'm against it: .listing files have cache coherency problems, non-ACID
properties & generally should die (but cannot due to the non-ubiquitous
nature of webdav).

When the transport doesn't use .listing files, those problems don't matter. When using straight http, those problems must be worked around. So I'm not sure what it buys us to avoid them. .listing files are *my* default, because most archives I create are ones I may want to serve via http. Though, for internal use at work, it's NFS.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology