[Gnu-arch-users] Re: "Newbie-ized help"

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: "Newbie-ized help"
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:56:59 +0900

Esben Mose Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

> But delete-id and move-id are seldom used (because you would use mv
> and rm instead). At least, that's how I do.

I think it's more a matter of working style than preference -- e.g., if
you apply a patch that deletes/renames some files, you have to get rid
of the ids (well actually in that case you should use `tla-update-ids',
but ...).

Oddly I'm told that subversion doesn't offer any way to do such
after-the-fact updates, at least for moves (I have no first-hand
knowledge though)!!

> And if faced with the problem of not wanting to delete the file, it is
> both obvious to look at the extended help AND find a workaround. So in
> the interest of keeping tla help short, I think move-id and delete-id
> should go from the short version).

You're probably right.

I think it would be immensely useful, BTW, if there was a `See-also: ...'
section in help output.

-Miles
--
My spirit felt washed.  With blood.  [Eli Shin, on "The Passion of the Christ"]