Re: [Gnu-arch-users] changes: tree shows no revisions in version ?

From: Cameron Patrick
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] changes: tree shows no revisions in version ?
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 00:21:18 +0800

Andrei A. Voropaev wrote:

> If assigning different name to archive is so dangerous, then why is
> it allowed?

It's needed for archive mirroring, where you register two copies of
the same archive in different locations, e.g. address@hidden and
address@hidden, then use `tla archive-mirror address@hidden
address@hidden to copy from one location to another.

Some other operations (e.g. abrowse) also work correctly on mirrors
like this.

> And if it is allowed, then why later usage of alternative name leads
> to problems?

Unfortunately, a lot of tla commands don't work properly in this way
and I don't think it's documented anywhere which do and which don't.
It's a tla bug that it doesn't even complain about this.

IIRC some people were suggesting a while ago to allow multiple
locations to be registered for a given archive (to allow mirroring)
and only allowing archives to be registered with the correct name.
I'm not sure whatever became of this idea.

Cameron.