Re: [Gnu-arch-users] help setting up sharing over HTTP

From: John A Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] help setting up sharing over HTTP
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:14:49 -0600

Joe Corneli wrote:

I have an archive that I have set up on a server: I also have arch
installed on my laptop.  I'm trying to make a mirror of the remote
archive, but I get an error.

[~]% tla register-archive address@hidden http://www.ma.utexas.edu/~hdm/2005-main
[~]% tla make-archive --mirror-from address@hidden ~/hdm-mirror
[~]% tla archive-mirror address@hidden
webdav error: 404 Not Found

The website http://www.ma.utexas.edu/~hdm/2005-main most certainly
exists, so I'm not sure why I get the 404 Not Found error.  I'm also
not sure how webdav comes into it.

On the server, the file 2005-main is just a symlink to the main archive,

lab45:~hdm$ ls -l www/2005-main
lrwxrwxrwx    1 hdm      under          31 Dec 13 20:15 www/2005-main ->
/home/hdm/{archives}/2005-main/

Maybe this is simply not the way to go.

Can you offer any suggestions that would help me get things set up on
the server side and/or on my laptop so I can make a mirror?
If you are sharing over plain http (which is what it sounds like) you need to configure the archive to create .listing files (plain http doesn't support directory listings).

Since you already have the archive available the easiest thing to do is:

$ echo "it does" > $archivepath/\=meta-info/http-blows
$ tla archive-fixup $archive

Where $archivepath is the location of the archive (it needs to be on the local filesystem so you can create the http-blows file). And $archive is the archive name (eg, address@hidden)

If you are creating a new archive that will be shared over http, you can create the http-blows file in the initial step by supplying the -l or --listing flag to tla make-archive

John
=:->