Re: [Gnu-arch-users] beginner needs advice

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] beginner needs advice
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 02:09:50 -0800

On Dec 27, 2004, at 8:26, John A Meinel wrote:

You could then setup a cron job that would look for updates from perforce, check them out one at a time, and commit them to arch. It isn't a straight gateway, and is less than optimal, but it *is* likely to work.

I've got a reasonably good p4 -> arch gateway, but it doesn't go the other direction. I track a few trees at work. It does a pretty good job of translating p4 changesets to arch changesets. The real issues arise where p4 changesets start to break down. p4 doesn't really seem to be all that change oriented, but it's generally close enough. p4 does not seem to support tracking anything related to directories, and tracking renames seems to require a guess I'm not willing to make (not to mention a rename with an edit).

If you want to try it out, it's address@hidden/gateway--p4--1.0 (you should be able to find it in the super mirror...I don't have connectivity right now for some reason, so I can't test anything else).

The UI is pretty bad, but at work, I've wrapped with a small script I run from cron hourly during the work hours where it's been happy for nearly a year now.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>