Re: [Gnu-arch-users] the way forward

From: Pierce T. Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] the way forward
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 16:48:28 -0700

accused of the gratuitous disruption and destruction of a public
project that, prior to your assembly under the financial umbrella
of a wealthy hobbyist, was muddling through and showed considerable
promise of a bright future.   What combination of maliciousness,
ignorance, misplaced arrogance, and just plain stupidity led to
such thuggery is a question for the ages but the consequences of
your entirely voluntary behavior is laid bare in everything from
the code itself to my circumstances.   At least we can agree
on this much: you were well funded in the effort.

Whereas you Tom, are not well funded in your thuggery. Clearly, you can be a thug without money, all you need is email.

I'm all for the violent exchange of opinions (I blog under the moniker Opinionated Bastard) but I don't think baz destroyed tla, I think tla self destructed on its own. In large part that was due to the following things that happened:

1. The lead developer didn't have time to keep it going due to personal issues.

2. The lead developer wouldn't relinquish control of integration, and ended up insulting the person doing the integration work. Said person quit.

3. The lead developer decided to rewrite the project from scratch, so the main line stagnated.

It's sort of ironic that the lead developer in a distributed versioning system was able to have such a chokehold on development, but it was true. All of these would have been death to any other open source project.

Enter baz. Baz was pretty obviously "tla without TL". That, more then anything, is why it succeeded. So _arch_ is alive and well as baz, though tla is dead...therefore, baz is a success!

You can criticize baz and canonical all you want, but the reality is that they were doing the work. They seem to be continuing to do work, and ultimately, that's what open source is all about. It's also what arch was all about, right? Permitting lots of people to collaborate on software.

Tom, I wish you luck. But you might want to tone your emails down. There's a difference between being opinionated and obnoxious. Mostly, your emails are just obnoxious. I didn't get that opinion from reading anything James wrote. I got that opinion from reading things YOU wrote. So tone down the paranoia as well.

Bottom line, baz wouldn't have succeeded if Canonical hadn't been able to recruit non-Canoncial people to work on it, and they were able to do that because you've gone out of your way to be difficult to work with.

  Pierce

P.S.

I do sincerely wish you luck Tom. I do alternative healing (Qi Gong) as a hobby, and so its pretty clear to me that you have some sort of health issue that's causing you to be so angry. I hope you figure that out.