Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: the way forward

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: the way forward
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 22:12:39 -0400

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 09:42:28AM +0800, Lalo Martins wrote:
> And so says James Blackwell on 08/09/05 09:12...
> > Anyways, lets talk about something more technical. I think that the
> > refactoring approach, while good for proprietary software, is bad for free
> > software because it raises the bar for scratch-your-own itch.
>
> I'd disagree.  Well-factored code is easier to maintain, and easier for
> newcomers to contribute to.

Ahh. I mispoke. I think already refactored code is good. I think writing
code with the intent of refactoring it later isn't so good.

I think code should be clean before its put into the codebase so that its
as readable as possible. That way others looking to fix something will be
able to clearly understand the code.