Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GPLv2 or GPLv2+

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GPLv2 or GPLv2+
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 15:57:10 -0800

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
Collecting copyright assignments is trivial business,

Unfortunately, it is not.   The basic mechanics of it are trivial, sure:
collect autographs.    The details matter a lot though.

Recall that it wouldn't have been simply the FSF office doing
this, the way they do for GCC: it would have been *me* collecting
those papers.   So, I'd have been party to all those contracts.
I might have been liable if someone lied or got wrong their rights
to assign work to me.  For my protection I would have to pay rent
to securely archive those assignments (forever, essentially).

Assignments aren't a game.   They have to be handled with great
care and, even if the mechanics of them are simple, that "great
care" is expensive.