Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME

From: Felipe Sanches
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 02:45:54 -0300

That's not entirely true.

MAME has got drivers for open hardware systems which run fully free
firmware (even though their emulation is not yet working perfectly).
Some examples that I can remember right now are:

* The Makerbot Replicator 1 3d printer and other RAMBO-based 3d
printers running Sailfish and/or RepetierFW
* The Uzebox DIY game console (and its full library of free software
8-bit games)
* There may be more, but these are the ones that I quickly remembered right now.

Also there's the fact that MAME itself is a collection of general
purpose emulation modules for all sorts of CPUs and auxilary chips. So
it can be though of as a framework for the creation of emulators of
anything! For leveraging that, you'd have to build it yourself,
instead of simply use a binary package, though.

Having said that, I should mention that I have myself contributed code
to the MAME codebase during the past few years (without being an
official member of the core-dev team though). But that does not mean I
have a vested interest in here. Actually, I think it could be pretty
reasonable to only ship source-code packages of MAME, but not
pre-built packages (as the true value is in the driver sources). And
even not shipping anything at all could be pretty much OK as well,
given the extreme fast pace of MAME development on git making it much
preferable to build it from a git repo checkout.

I hope this provides some additional insight on the bright-side of MAME.

Felipe Sanches