Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME

From: Julian Marchant
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 19:57:54 -0400

On 03/31/2016 12:01 PM, J.B. Nicholson wrote:
> Julian Marchant wrote:
>> As far as I know, all Flash objects are non-libre.
>
> How do you figure this?

How do I figure that I am unaware of any libre Flash objects? Well, it's
my own brain and memory. I think I'm the only authority on that. Please
note that I didn't claim that no libre Flash objects exist, only that
this seems to be the case based on what I know. This is, of course,
because I am not aware of any libre Flash objects. It's the same way
that you might be unaware of any libre programs that can run in MAME: it
could be that there really are none, or it could be that you just
haven't found it.

That's my point: you can't just declare that a program is dependent on
proprietary software based on the fact that its job is to run code, and
you are unaware of any libre code it could run. You might just not be
looking hard enough, or libre code it can run might be written tomorrow.

--
Julian Marchant
https://onpon4.github.io

Protect your privacy with GnuPG: