Re: MIDI to sheet music

From: Werner Icking
Subject: Re: MIDI to sheet music
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 15:24:15 +0100 (MET)

> From: Stephen Peters <address@hidden>
> Date: 02 Dec 2000 15:40:47 -0500

[...]
> In practice, I don't think midi2ly does a great job at synchronizing
> the different tracks (even on midi files created by lilypond), and it
> seems to do very poorly on random MIDI files found on the web.

I don't think that midi2ly is the problem. Midi files are not ment to
generate printed music. And esp. MIDI files with an acceptable sound
use a lot of tricks which look funny when converted back to printable
music. I found e.g. a MIDI-file of BWV1006 (Partita for violin solo
in E) whose first movement (Prelude) starts with a lot of 1/16th.
These 1/16th were distributed on more than one MIDI track (channel?)
improving the sound. But how should a MIDI to sheet music converter
detect that these tracks belong to one line of music?

-- Werner