gnu-regexp-users

Re: [Regexp] GPL vs. LGPL

From: Wes Biggs
Subject: Re: [Regexp] GPL vs. LGPL
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:39:45 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Brenda Bell wrote:
> I've recently had to familiarize myself with various software
> licenses in connection with a project I'm working on.  It's my
> understanding that the biggest difference between the two GNU
> licenses is that the LGPL eliminates the combined-work
> restriction of GPL.

Yes; for LGPL, you can "link" your application with gnu.regexp and
distribute it without any additional requirements (as long as you don't
change any of gnu.regexp code).

> I'm curious as to the rationale behind
> releasing regexp under LPGL.  I'm assuming that regexp would be
> considered a combined work and that the restriction would pass on
> to any application that uses regexp.  Doesn't that negate the
> benefits of LGPL?

The gnu.regexp.util portions are meant as utility applications and are not
meant to be distributed with proprietary applications.  The JAR file that
comes with the distribution is fully LGPL.

Wes