Re: GNU System Explanation

From: Filip Brcic
Subject: Re: GNU System Explanation
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 03:40:07 +0100

Дана Saturday 11 February 2006 19:56, Barry deFreese је написао(ла):
> Can someone please give me a concise explanation of what the intended goals
> are here?

The goal is to make package installation and removal as easy as cp and rm.

> I understand that you want packages isolation in /packages, but why?
> Managing multiple versions of a package could potentially become a headache
> I believe.

With current state yes. But that problem will be solved.

> For example:  I have /packages/foo-1.1/bin/foo  and /lib/libfoo.  Then I
> install foo-1.2 which has /packages/foo-1.2/bin/foo and /lib/libfoo,
> foo-1.1 becomes pretty much unusable anyway, does it not?

Why do you need both foo-1.1 and foo-1.2?

If you take a look at how Mac OS X implements several versions, you can see
that you have

/path/to/foo/1.1
/path/to/foo/1.2

and

/path/to/foo/Current (symlink to for example 1.2).

That is not a bad way to handle multiple versions. It would, of course,
require tweaking of stowfs, but... that should not be the problem. And that
way you can use 1.1/lib/libfoo and 1.2/lib/libfoo if you explicitly need
libfoo by version. If you don't care about the version, use /lib/libfoo and
you'll get the current version.

> I also understand that you have philosophical differences with Debian.
> Fine, but Debian provides a nice set of tools for package management when
> dealing with things like dependencies, reverse dependencies, etc.  Yes, it
> would be nice to be able to use common filesystem commands to install and
> manage packages but is it realistic? If I extract foo-1.1.tar.gz to
> /packages/foo but foo needs bar to run now what?  OK, so I extract
> bar-1.0.tar.gz to /packages/bar.  But now I install baz which also depends
> on bar, there becomes 1 to many and potentially many to 1 relationships of
> packages.

I didn't quite understand your example. Dependencies will be implemented
somehow.

> What do people see as currently wrong with dpkg other than being Debian and
> a little cumbersome for developers?

Why cumbersome? I find it much more developer-friendly than for example rpm.

Filip

--
Filip Brcic <address@hidden>
WWWeb: http://purl.org/NET/brcha/home/