Re: GNU System Explanation

From: Filip Brcic
Subject: Re: GNU System Explanation
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:32:28 +0100

Дана Sunday 12 February 2006 11:40, Claudio Fontana је написао(ла):
> --- Tom Bachmann <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Why not?
> > If /share/info is just a translator that shows all
> > /packages/*/info dirs?
> > --
> > -ness-
>
> I am not sure what a translator is. I assume it's
> something that merges all /packages/*/info dirs into
> one single view of a /info or /usr/info directory.
> Please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> If this translator can treat /packages/*/info
> directories as a special case, and thus knows about
> running install-info to correctly merge the dirs file,
> then that's ok.

Translator is something that translates some kind of backend into the
filesystem structure. Translator could for example create a filesystem from
your mysql database, or from your addressbook if you want. The /share/info
directory will be translated using unionfs-like translator. Well,
the /share/info/dir (and similar files that depend on many packages) could be
just a view to all .info files (just list everything between
"START-INFO-DIR-ENTRY" and "END-INFO-DIR-ENTRY" tags). It sounds slow to do
that in real-time, but the translator could (and should) cache the entries.
If another .info file is added, it would just have to put it's contents to
the end of the virtual "dir" file. If an .info file is removed, it would just
remove it's entries from the "dir" file. That is not too much work to do and
it should go fast enough.

--
Filip Brcic <address@hidden>
WWWeb: http://purl.org/NET/brcha/home/