Re: GNU System Explanation

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: GNU System Explanation
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:50:01 +0100

   From: Claudio Fontana <address@hidden>

   > Why not?
   > If /share/info is just a translator that shows all
   > /packages/*/info dirs?
   > --
   > -ness-

   I am not sure what a translator is. I assume it's
   something that merges all /packages/*/info dirs into
   one single view of a /info or /usr/info directory.
   Please correct me if I am wrong.

   If this translator can treat /packages/*/info
   directories as a special case, and thus knows about
   running install-info to correctly merge the dirs file,
   then that's ok.

This is exactly what unionfs is meant to do: some sort of agregation. You can
for example say that /foo and /bar are "agregated" as a known (virtual)
directory /package. Thus cd'ing or ls'ing /package will show results from /foo
and /bar transparently.

This is all the beauty of this translator (and the beauty of the GNU in
general).

Xavier