Re: gnu packaging ideas

From: pancake
Subject: Re: gnu packaging ideas
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 11:18:58 +0200

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 10:08:19AM +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    > Yes, please, let's _try_ to avoid the pre/post install/deinstall
>    > scripts at all cost. They tend to create too many inconsistencies
>    > and weird behaviours.
>
>    There's some kind of pre-post installation scripts that maybe
>    useful imho, but maybe good to provide at least an "instructions"
>    for the packages that need some kind of special user (www,
>    spamassassin, tor, ...),
>
> We shouldn't need such a file with instructions.  The kitten
> translator will take care of adding users to the main /etc/passwd
> file, and other such files.

I think letting the translator add users is a bad idea. I think that a
text message with instructions could be fine. Or at least a minimal
script for this kind of things.

BTW if the package managing is done by the translator..we can put these
install/deinstall scripts or messages in the tree.

--pancake