Re: (Really) Free Software future

From: František Kučera
Subject: Re: (Really) Free Software future
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 11:47:26 +0200

Dne 15. 10. 19 v 21:56 Svante Signell napsal(a):
> As you know there is
> only one _upstream_ of systemd and that upstream is a company. Systemd
> software is developed by that company, and as you also know is that
> contributions, patches and bug reports coming from outside that company
> are frown upon. People reporting issues are even met with hostility.

I agree that systemd has quality/complexity issues, but it is not vendor
lock-in. It is free software so you can fork it – and if your fork would
be better, distributions would use it and Red Hat would stay alone with
their original systemd.

Free software does not mean that every patch must be accepted. If it
would accept everything, it would be total mess with many unintentional
or even intentional bugs and flaws. It is the author/maintainer of given
project, who is responsible for the quality. And if author's view
diverges too much from the user's view, it is time to fork.

Franta