Re: RMS: users request you perhaps program HURD: they fear the path the

From: Alexandre François Garreau
Subject: Re: RMS: users request you perhaps program HURD: they fear the path the linux kernel is going.
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 05:14:29 +0100

Le mercredi 13 novembre 2019, 19:23:43 CET Kete via Discussions about the
development of the GNU system a écrit :
> I disagree that they betrayed RMS. I still like the Guix contributors,
> probably even more now. Your systemd statement is confusing because they
> made their own service program called shepherd.

To be precise, GNU Shepherd is the continuation of an old init software
originally called GNU DMD, written in Scheme, that was intended to provide
init system to the Hurd before Guix and systemd existed (and happened to
already provide some of the best features of systemd (like dependency
graph, parallelism, etc.)

But actually, even related to the Hurd, Shepherd is a better name, and it
is very cool the development was resumed.  That’s a very good thing Guix
people did, whatever are the issues of their software distribution /
package manager.