Re: [open-cobol-list] GUI for compiler

From: David Essex
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] GUI for compiler
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 02:28:44 -0500

There is a lot of editors [5 6 7] which use the Scintilla(SciTE)[3] component. And there are COBOL syntax files [4] available.

However, AFAIK, there is no open source Scintilla Lexer for COBOL.
So even with a COBOL syntax file, you don't get the full benefit of the Scintilla component.

I have been working an a open source Scintilla Lexer for COBOL. It is about 25-30% complete. No SECTION PARAGRAPH folding, just some syntax highlights (free format only). I should try to get finished.

Even with the Scintilla component a COBOL customized IDE will be required

Gilles Crebassa wrote:
Its also really easy to create a Editor (1) on cobol using Qt framework because :

- most of it use the syntax highlighter (Scintilla)
- plugin available or scripting
- linux/unix/windows compatibility
- the new Qt 4.5 is GPL free for commercial product.(2)

(1)
http://www.monkeystudio.org/
http://qdevelop.org/
http://www.edyuk.org/
(2)
http://blog.qtfr.org/post/2009/03/03/Qt-450-Qt-Creator-10-Qt-SDK
http://www.qtsoftware.com/about/news/nokia-releases-new-qt-developer-offerings-to-increase-productivity-and-performance

3) Scintilla and SciTE
http://www.scintilla.org/

4) SciTE settings for COBOL files
http://www.freewebs.com/woefdram/cobol.properties

5) Code::Blocks - The open source, cross platform, free C++ IDE
http://www.codeblocks.org/

6) Visual-MinGW home
http://visual-mingw.sourceforge.net/

7) NOTEPAD++ Scintilla based editor