Re: [open-cobol-list] Web server resources etc?

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Web server resources etc?
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 13:23:13 -0500

Hi Jim

I have had several false starts with my project, the problem is very hard to solve and basically involves three choices:
Write a crappy closed source program and charge 1/3 of the price of the software it's replacing
Write an open source one, charge full price and have no revenue model a year later and not way to enforce the license
Do something completely new and unusual.

I have to pick the 3rd option and that means experimenting and failing.

I could fail again and I don't want to waste anyone's time. I think the most important thing right now is knowing what to study and coming up with a better outline of what I need to do to solve this using the web.

It looks like you already have some middleware between Cobol and Apache. Is it reusable outside of your application and/or are you allowed to share it?

Would a Mod Cobol be better for the community? Should I look at statically typed web frameworks in C++/Java etc for guidance ? Is your application running behind a firewall? I have to run out in the open. I don't know much about web security and will need to catch up fast.

Your CGI example is very helpful, if you had any other pointers of where I should invest my energy, I would really appreciate it.  I would like to generate some results before anyone invests significant time in helping me.

Thanks