Re: [open-cobol-list] Help understanding this behaviour

From: Wim Niemans
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Help understanding this behaviour
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 10:26:26 +0200

To me, this looks like a serious bug in the compiler, because it should perform
a length check.
When this string is longer, there seem to be no problem and I guess everybody
will understand that and refer to the distinct picture clauses.
When this string is shorter, however, Cobol should definite issue a error or
warning, because it otherwise facilitates a security leak.
The only defense that can be used is the mismatch of BY VALUE / BY REFERENCE in
the the caller and the callee.

Wim

Op 2 sep. 2013, om 05:09 heeft Patrick het volgende geschreven: